South Sound Oral Medicine has been serving patients in the South Puget Sound area since 1987. All of our doctors are graduates of the University of Washington Department of Oral Medicine’s residency program. This is an accredited program that qualifies dentists to become board certified in Oral Medicine. Over the years, our doctors have helped thousands of patients and a wide variety of oral and dental conditions.|
What is Oral Medicine?
Oral Medicine is an area of dentistry concerned with the diagnosis and non-surgical management of a variety of conditions affecting the teeth, mouth, and jaws.
The scope of Oral Medicine includes:
Additional information on specific conditions may be found on the Helpful Links page.
- Temporomandibular disorders (TMD, or “TMJ”)
- Myofascial pain, headaches, & neck pain
- Oral appliance therapy for medically-diagnosed snoring & sleep apnea
- Post-accident mouth, jaw, & ear pain
- Atypical tooth pain (odontalgia) & neuropathic pain after root canal treatment
- Soft tissue lesions & conditions, including cheek biting, canker sores, and lichen planus
- Oral infections, such as cold sores (herpes) & yeast infections (candidiasis)
- Oral dryness (xerostomia) & other salivary problems
- Oral burning & Burning Mouth Syndrome
- Dysgeusia, phantom tastes, & other sensory complaints
- Halitosis (bad breath)
- Bacterial stomatitis